Click on image to enlarge
River God fountain was one of the first major pieces of statuary in the gardens.
A figure of a man on bended knee bearing an open clam shell on his shoulders formed the central feature of the fountain which was erected in the Fitzroy Gardens in 1862. The figure of the River God was designed and cast in concrete by the sculptor, Charles Summers.
It remained in the gardens for nearly a century until it was replaced by the Fountain of the Birds in 1960. In 1996 after nearly forty years absence, the River God figure was renovated, the fountain was rebuilt, not in its original position but at the north end of the gardens at the junction of paths facing south.