Grey Street Fountain
Click on image to enlarge
|The fountain opposite Grey Street on the east side of the Fitzroy Gardens and known simply as the "Grey Street" fountain is one of the oldest fountains to be found in
Melbourne's Gardens. It was first commenced in 1863 under the direction of C.
Hodgkinson, the Assistant Commissioner of Lands and Survey, and the concept incorporated a pool 100 feet (30.5 m) long and a central cluster of rocks, from the midst of which water was thrown up to a height of nearly 50 feet in a solid jet. The pond was filled with little islands planted with aquatic plants and Sydney couch grass.
The well known landmark survived a demolition proposed in 1968 when a widespread demonstration of public support for the fountain ensured its future survival.